What is the effect of Atenolol25mg on heart disease?

My wife (79yrs) has heart trouble and has been prescribed Atenolol25mg.Can anyone say what they do? She thinks they are a Betablocker and are prescribed to slow her down. I would think that that was the last thing she needs and what she needs is something to speed her up. Anyone got any ideas?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Yes Atenolol is a beta-blocker and it does not only block activity in the heart but it stimulates as well. The dose of Atenolol 25 mg is usually given for hypertension to reduce blood pressure, and decrease the risk of stroke or heart attack. The reason she has been prescribed Atenolol would have been considered by her doctor taking into account all her other medication and her current condition.