What is the cause of swelling in the knees with acute pain ?

I am female, aged 55 years. Recently, my knee suddenly developed swelling . I am having acute pain . I cannot bend my leg. The swelling extends onto the thigh as well. I am very sure that there was no injury to the knee which could have triggered this condition. Although I had participated in a function where I had danced for around an hour. But there were no such steps which could have stressed my legs so much as to injure my knees. Please advice. Thanks a lot for your help. Regards,
Asked On : Thu, 12 Apr 2012