What is the cause of severe muscle and joint pain, swelling in the hands and recurring chest rash in an aged ?

I have been suffering from severe musle and joint pain from head to toe for about five months. I have a rash on my chest that comes and goes. I have severe swelling in both hands to the point that I can not touch my fingers to my thumb or hold anything. I have been off gluten for over a year. I have been to many medical doctors who have tested me for arthritis lou Gearicks sp? etc. I was told by my mother that I had polio at the age of 2 but it was not bad enough to cripple me the only side effect that I have is that I notice a slight difference in size of my body from right to left. I currently get no relief unless I take prescription ibeprofen. Help!!!! I am 72 years old and was in great health and able to do anything I wanted prior to this. Now I can hardly dress myself.
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012