What is the cause of red itchy bites on my body ?

I keep waking up with itchy red bites. i know i don t have bed bugs just because we ve checked. i found a spider in my room the other day and killed it, and the problem went away for about a week. But today i found 2 more bites on my hand and a bite on my FOREHEAD . i m not sure if i also got bit on my eyelid , but its red and swollen. i look weird. my eye is red. i can take benedryl but i just want to look somewhat normal! what do you think the problem is? spiders? i don t know where they could come from. it s a possibility. i m just nervous about things crawling on me while i m sleeping. i don t want to deal with these bites anymore.
Asked On : Thu, 12 Apr 2012
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hello Jessie,I know how it feels to have itchy red bites. Bed bugs are the ones which comes to all our minds.

I would suggest you to look for bed bugs for a second time particularly over the corners of your bed creases ,your pillows,(if your room is carpeted),then look all over the wall carpet junctions ,your couch and your bed frame. I am suggesting this with my own experience.Try changing pillows and bed cover, vacuum twice and change you sleeping place in the bed.

Coming to your eyes,insect bite allergies might vary from mild to moderate eye manifestations. If it is only a mild redness with lid swelling it will come down with oral and topical anti allergics. But if you have symptoms of discharge,hazy vision with pain it may be due to deeper penetration of the toxin and it's ocular reaction which needs to be seen under slit lamp microscope for further evaluation.

Hope you feel better soon.