What is the cause of painful stinging in the armpit ?

My left armpit has started to stinging and also very painful. What could be the cause?
Asked On : Tue, 28 Feb 2012
There could be many causes like fungal infections, allergy to soap, body spray,new clothing,hair removal cream or razor use over the area.You will need to get it examined by a dermatologist.Also you need to stop using any new soap or spray if you have started using it.Use only cotton clothes which are airy.Use calamine lotion over the area.
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. M Agarwal's  Response
hello. Welcome to HCM

The common causes for stinging, itching and more over pain in the arm pit is usually infection of hair follicles and sweat and apocrine glands which are abundant in the area. They are usually very very painful due to many nerve endings present in the area. the best approach is to use broad spectrum antibiotics, analgesics and antipyeretics as required and take local care. In local care, you need to avoid use of alcohol containing deodorants, and keep as much dry as possible by application of medicated talcums...(e.g neosporin).

However, if the pain is accompanied by redness and marked swelling, it can be indicative of lymph node involvemnt. In this case, a debridement by a good surgeon will help.