What is the cause of painful small, flat, purplish marks on the back and arm ?

My 7 year old daughter was outside playing with her sister and her friends when she came home I noticed that she had several( 6 or 7) small, flat, purplish marks on the back of her arm that look like little bruises. They were not there this morning. I also noticed she has a few on her leg just below her knee . The ones on her leg appear a little lighter in color (pinkish purple). She did not complain about them until I pointed them out. When I touched them, she started crying and complaining that they hurt. She does not appear to have any other symptoms. I took pictures of them. I am reluctant to take her to the pediatrician , if it s not absolutely necessary. It is a holiday weekend so I am sure the hours are very limited and it is a far drive from our home.
Asked On : Tue, 10 Apr 2012