What is the cause of occasional pain in the groin post physical activities ?

i have occasional pain on the left side of the groin and going back up on the area around the fold between the abdomen and the thigh . i know that because when I press on the groin as far as I can I feel the pain and I can trace it back up to the fold. Massaging the area seems to help. Activities I may have done to cause this are 1} lifting some products at work 2} playing soccer.(I recently took up soccer at age 54 and had no problems for a few months) I first noticed that area just before a soccer game and also before going jogging. however as soon as I started to play soccer or jog the discomfort was not noticeable. i went to a drive-through urgent care facility and the doctor thought I have a femoral hernia but there is no bulge .
Asked On : Sat, 4 Feb 2012