What is the cause of nose bleeds with diabetes?

iIam a diabetic, also the last 2 mos i ve had noselbleeds on my right side, not alot at times but always at nite in the early morning hrs what is wrong? told my MD and he checked my nose and said put ice if it happens ao thats what i do i do not have high B/P. also i fill up a tissue that's how much blood.
Asked On : Wed, 19 Feb 2014
Diabetologist 's  Response
Hi, welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal.

Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query

The nose bleed is usually due to many causes, some of which are easy to avoid like nose picking and drying of the nose.

So I would suggest you definitely avoid picking the nose. And ofcourse, using a moisture retaining jelly like petroleum jellies would help you maintain the integrity of the blood vessels of the nose

Another cause of bleeding from the nose is excessively hot/cold air exposure. This is of course via drying of the nose, but make sure the air you are breathing is ok. Try to avoid excess cold and heat.

Another possibility is the dryness of air. This can also cause bleeding by drying the nose. Air humidifiers are now easily available and you can use them safely

Your treating doctor is quite right- ice on the bleeding nose is the best option available to everyone at home.

However have your bleeding profile checked- PT/INR, CT, BT
And check your regular medicines (not mentioned in the query) for an drug that may increase the chance of bleeding

Also suggest to check the blood pressure while the bleeding is happening.
A later OPD bp may be normal

I hope this helps you. Inform the reports mentioned above so i can be of help further. Best of luck.

I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. The results of the tests could further enhance my answer to you.

Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination.

Looking forward to your return query with the details asked so that I can help you further. Please feel free to ask another query. Would be glad to help you.
(If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.