What is the cause of heavy flow and cramping after periods in a woman not on birth control ?

In the past year I have come off of depo prevera, which I was on for about 6 years. In that time I haven t really had a period, but now it seems to be back to my normal 11 days. My concern is that I just finished the 11 days a few days ago and yesterday it started again and its brighter and quite heavy, I have cramping and there is some clotting. As far as I know I have never experienced this before and I am a little scared, I am 31 and not on birth control but have regular sex with my boyfriend. Should I be alarmed or is this normal? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Asked On : Fri, 4 Feb 2011