What is the cause of enlarged papillae on the sides of the tongue ?

i have had what i believe are enlarged papillae on the sides of my tongue for about a month now, they come and go and switch sides often. it feels like i have a popcorn kernel stuck to that particular place each time it happens. ive looked inside my mouth several times and found nothing but a slightly swollen papillae (always on the sides, never in the center of my tongue). i am a 25 year old female and i do smoke , but the bumps did not start appearing until i began to try to quit smoking about a month ago. i also have hypertension and take metoprolol tartrate 50mg 2x daily to control my blood pressure which has been good. i try to stay hydrated but i also drink a lot of sodas. any ideas? i have had the current bump for 5 days, it isn t painful, just bothersome.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Feb 2012