What is the cause of dark stools with frequent defecation ?

my uncle is having dark stools .he defecates 3 times a day.what does that mean??he is not taking any medications
Asked On : Fri, 2 Mar 2012

Dark stools could be due to following reasons.

1. Bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract. This means it could be in the esophagus, stomach or the proximal part of the intestines. The causes could be due to an ulcer, erosions or in the worst case a malignancy in the upper gastro intestinal tract.

2. Another common reason for passing dark stools would be the intake of iron supplements.

3. Inclusion of certain foods in the diet like greens, blueberries etc. can also cause dark stools.

It is essential to rule out pathological cause like bleeding before attributing the dark stools to medicines or diet.

Certain facts in his medical history would point towards bleeding:

(a) Pain in the abdomen.

(b) Previous history of acid peptic disease.

(c) Loss of appetite

(d) Loss of weight

(e) Recent intake of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like brufen etc.

It is important to get your father seen by a gastroenterologist. He will first do a stool examination for blood. He may also suggest upper GI endoscopy and a colonoscopy if required.

Hope I've answered your query.

General & Family Physician Dr. Veera Raghava Rao Buddha.'s  Response
Hi welcome to H.C.M.Forum, it might be due to amoebic infection.he need to use anti amoebic drugs along with antibiotic for controle. he should use curd and vegetables. avoid non vegetarian, ceareals, and leafy vegetables, for few days. thank you.