What is the cause for the rib to protrude after a punch to the rib ?

Hello. I am a 32 year old male, 5 7 150 lbs. I was recently punched in the ribs on the lower left side and at the time I didn t feel any pain, though the punch was enough to knock me back (I was sparring). Starting the next morning I started feeling sore in that spot and it hurts when I lean forward (I cannot do sit-ups), press in the area, and when I breathe. It has been a week and the pain seems like it s getting worse. I noticed on my left side the rib right under where I was hit seems slightly protruded. I thought it might be a bruise or fracture at first but now that I noticed the protrusion am thinking it might be dislodged or out of place. What is it and what should I do?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Jul 2011