What is the cause for chest infection and shooting pain ?

i thought i was goin to take a heart attack cause i had pain all over my chest but went to doctors and they said u can get this with a chest infection , but im still concerned cause ive been to 3 diffrent doctors about this , im wondering if enyone else has had a chest infection and its cause shootin pains ?
Asked On : Sun, 20 Feb 2011
Hi there,

Since you showed up to a doctor, I assume that he did an ecg since ruling out heart attack is of greatest importance. Once it's ruled out, we have to look at other causes.

If you have a burning pain worsened on lying down, drinking coffee or after smoking, it's most likely to be gastroesophageal reflux(stomach acid coming up the food tube in chest) with or without hiatus hernia( a part of stomach itself moving up the chest).

Medications like Omeprazole and antacids might provide benefit. But I would advise you to consult with a gastroenterologist and rule out serious conditions like esophageal cancer(cancer in the food tube) with a possible endoscopy first.