What is the cause and remedy for hard stomach with fluid in an alcohol addict ?

Im not even sure Im asking the right doctor but here is my story, my father is 65 yrs old. he use to drink alot, couldn t go a day without having one. it got to the point his stomach was filling with fluid , his feet and legs were swollen. we got him to a hospital where they drained the fluid (4L) and got the swelling down and gave him some medications to take. After about a month he stopped taking them, his stomach is filled with fluid again, but he says his stomach is hard not soft like before. He refuses to go to a doctor again and wonder if you can offer any advice. When I look up his symptoms online it all lead to cirrohsis, possible final stages. he hasn t had a drink in 5 months but I don t know what to expect or what to do, I can t force him.
Asked On : Sun, 1 Apr 2012