What is the alternative of Janumet ?

What is the best alternative to Diabetes prescription Janumet
Asked On : Sun, 2 Jan 2011
Diabetologist 's  Response
Before answering this question, I would like to know why you are looking for an alternative to Janumet, as Janumet itself is a wonderful combination. Is it because of the lack of efficacy of the drug? Have you allowed the drug enof time to work (atleast a month)? I would also like to know your age, duration of diabetes, your latest(not more than months') blood glucose levels (FPG, PPG, HbA1c levels) before suggesting an alternative.
I would suggest you that Janumet which is a combination of Sitagliptin and metformin works best in early diabetes(duration less than 10 yrs atleast) and may not show the desired effect when the beta cells are exhausted either due to a late stage 0f the disease or when used after trying many combinations.
Would like to help you more if given more details! Take care...!

Dear Dr.Kathick ,

Thank you indeed for your reply and suggestions.

Yes Janumet does work with my wife,who has been taking it regularly but of late I am unable to get it in the market.I am told it is not available in the local market. We live in Meerut. Our physician has changed the medicines and the new set of drugs are OK so far. I shall be happy to consult you should there be any problem with the current course of treatment.

Thank you once again for your suggestions and helpful attitude.