What is polycystic ovary syndrome ?

what are the criteria to define pcod?
Asked On : Sun, 13 Feb 2011
Thanks for posting query.
. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is related with multiple factor predominantly to genetic (inherited) and environmental factors. Other factors found in relation to PCOS which is thought to be causes include
- Malfunction of the body's blood sugar control system (insulin system)
- Production of excess amounts of male hormones known as androgens from ovaries
- Other hormonal abnormality in women with PCOS such as Luteinizing Hormone
Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly.
General Surgeon Dr. Rajinder Bajoria's  Response
Welcome to health care magic
IN PCOD size of ovaries is increased it is more than 10 cubic centimeters on ultrasound .There are multiple small follicles in necklace pattern in the ovary with increased size.
Wish you speedy recovery
OBGYN Dr. Rhea Chanda's  Response
Pcod is a condition where there are multiple small cysts in the ovaries.the typical medical history is that of irregular menstrual cycles, which are unpredictable and can be very heavy, and the need to take hormonal tablets (progestins) to induce a period. Patients suffering from PCOD are often obese and may have hirsutism, (excessive facial and body hair) as a result of the high androgen levels.Diagnosed by ultrasound.