What is meant by reactive lymphadenitis? Have swollen lymph nodes in throat

My wife is suffering from swelling lymph nodes at left throat from the last two months. Sometimes she also felt feevarish. We went through several tests, like various blood tests, FNAC and MRI of the nech and head. However the final outcome we got is reactive lymphadenities . What is meant by this? My ENT surgeon is saying that due to some infection it happens. But any test report has not mentioned which infection is this? The test reports are also showing that all the other organs are normal. Now the ENT surgeon is recommending for surgery. My question is should we go for surgery?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Oct 2012