What is meant by pcod ?

salam hi doctor i am sameena khan my age is 28 and higt 5.2 or 5.3 and weight 50 kg my problem is pcod what is your answer please gave me thanks
Asked On : Tue, 19 Jul 2011
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
PCOD is a disease of ovaries , where there are multiple cysts forming in the ovary.Due to these cysts , egg is not released and hormonal imbalance occurs.This can present as irregular periods , infertility , hirsutism.In such a disease , hormone pills have to be taken to regularize hormone levels and to reduce symptoms.
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Sameena, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.

PCOD is most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, where the Ovaries become enlarged and contain numerous small cysts located along the outer edge which will have a polycystic appearance.

The cause for this is unknown, and is known to cause Hormonal Imbalance, Infertility, Difficulty getting pregnant, weight gain, insulin resistance and irregular periods, excess hair growth.

The treatment involves hormonal therapy and surgery in rare cases.

You should bring in some lifestyle changes:

1.) Avoid high calorie foods and saturated fats
2.) eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables
3.) exercise for an hour daily and maintain a healthy weight
4.) avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.