What is herpes?

i was diagnosed with herpes today is this a very serious disease ? is there a medicine that will lessen the amount of times i get the outbreaks ?
Asked On : Wed, 19 Jan 2011
I guess having herpes, HIV or HPV is not the end of the world. to tell the truth, I'm living with HIV positive for 2 years. I was upset at the beginning.
A std support site helps me find useful, up-to-date information for lots of warm-hearted people. I always ask the live std counselor if any problem.hope it helps.
General & Family Physician Dr. Joey's  Response
You may get treated with Antivirals. There are generics also available like aciclovir which may be prescribed by your doctor. Also, the doctor may give you some pain killers like Ibuprofen. You need to get treated immediately so that your symptoms are minimized.

However, there is not a drug or vaccine today which would prevent or cure you of herpes. Some research is going on. The antivirals that I mentioned above are for symptomatic benefit. So the only way you could prevent you from getting these attacks repeatedly is by improving your immunity.

By maintaining good health and eating nutritious food and regular exercise, you can improve your general immunity which would minimize the chances of a repeated attack.

If you are a woman who could get pregnant, you need to inform your gynecologist of your condition as it has an impact on your delivery management