What is depression and am I experiencing it ? How can I get over my commitment phobia and become more social ?

im having severe mood swings these days.. not able to concentrate.. have fights with my parents.. having a feel of guilt that i dont respect them. does not feel like talking to people around me .. im 25 years old.. doing Ph .D. unmarried. and do not want to marry im scared of marriages.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Apr 2011

I hope you are aware of the policy that we cannot diagnose online. But I can give you some ideas to think about. Your symptoms can be part of a depressive disorder. It could either be Major Depressive Disorder or Bipolar Disorder. But you may need to think beyond depression. Features of adult ADD (attention deficit disorder) can present like depression. However, these are hypotheses. Your actual diagnosis can be given only by a mental health professional who can interview you and evaluate the symptoms.

It is important to figure out if these problems are recent. And if so, you need to see if there are any particular stress factors associated. You may need to work on relationship issues, especially with your parents and your beliefs about marriage. This can be effectively done in psychotherapy sessions. You can look up Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) or Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT).

Hope this helps. Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
Welcome to Healthcaremagic Forum

A lot of people go through rough phases in life, and feel low, angry, guilty, frustrated at that time.
One such episode does not necessarily indication the presence of a major psychiatric illness.
But yes you are "feeling depressed", so remedies (homeopathic , bach flower ) along with counseling can help here, which can help you with your mood swings and coping with the problems you are facing.

Its common for unmarried females to feel low , during such a phase (searching for a groom) , where lot is expected from you , plus there is a fear of rejection, then there is anticipatory anxiety etc...

Please feel free to visit an expert.