What is bilateral cystic ovary ? Will it affect pregnancy ?

what is bilateral cystic ovary ? will it affect pregnancy
Asked On : Thu, 21 Jul 2011
what is bilateral cystic ovary. will it cause any difficult to get pregnant.
and i got my period only after 40-45 days .
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response
Hi Viji,

Welcome to HCM.
I presume you mean bilateral poly cystic ovaries (PCO).
Bilateral polycystic ovaries are caused by hormonal imbalance.
In this condition the classical features include irregular periods, over weight and excessive body hair growth in unwanted places.
The classical features need not be present in every person with polycystic ovaries.
PCOD (Polycystic ovarian disease) can interfere with getting pregnant and needs to be treated for conceiving.
Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
Hi Viji!
Welcome to
If you are pregnant and have cyst in ovary you will have to check its size upon every scan since cysts which grow more than 10 cms can rupture or torsion.If you are trying to conceive try to take treatment to rid of cysts.Take care.