What is MPGN type ll and what causes it ?

my 14yr old daughter has had mpgn type ll for 5 years now what is it? & what causes it?
Asked On : Sat, 21 May 2011
Dear Karen,
Welcome to HCM.
Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis ("MPGN"), also known as mesangiocapillary glomerulonephritis,is a type of inflammation of the glomerulonephrons caused by deposits in the kidney glomerular mesangium and basement membrane (GBM) thickening, damaging the glomeruli. It is one of the primary renal causes of Nephrotic Syndrome.
Type II (also called "dense deposit disease" is similar to type I. except that in this case, it is believed to be associated with the alternative complement pathway.
In short your daughter is unfortunately affected by kidney disease, which requires expert management by a nephrologist. Please carefully follow the advise of your nephrologist.
Wishing your daughter speedy recovery.