What is High Altitude Illness and how can it be cured ?

We where on the top of Europe about 3,700 or higher. Walking through a tunnel I felt like it hurt my chest . Later when we where waiting to come down I thought something was in my eye. What it is it is like ablack cobweb floating before my right eye. Right now I also have a cold, I guess I was beginning to get that before I went up the mountain. We where up the mountain 3 days ago.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Sep 2011
Hello.welcome.probably it was due to the less oxygen at higher altitude which resulted in height sickness and also since you were having cold it might have caused temporary dizziness to you.Good luck.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
As we climb up on higher attitude concentration of oxygen in air decreases so one may find breathing trouble and at this height you were passing through tunnel where still oxygen level falls.
You eye problem also may be due to less oxygen supply to eye causing this trouble.
Ok and bye.