is the name given to the male and female pattern baldness
or common baldness. It occurs after puberty and affects both sexes but less so in women. Men first develop hair loss at the temples, followed by an enlarging bald spot on top of the head. In women, the hair slowly becomes thin throughout the scalp and bald spots usually do not occur.
The main symptoms of androgenic alopecia may include:-
1) The primary symptom of the disease are roundish patches of hair loss on the head, with smooth, hairless scalp in the affected areas.
2) Hairs which look like exclamation points may sometime be seen at the edges of a bald patch.
3) Thinning of hair over the entire head may be seen in androgenic alopecia.
4) Hair loss at the crown or hairline, mild to moderate.
5) The appearance may be with fine vellus hairs in distinctive patterns such as frontal-temporal.
6) In women, generally there are three main patterns observed which are: 1.a diffuse frontal-vertical thinning, 2.male pattern type and 3.diffuse thinning of the vertex.
The cause of the Androgenic Alopecia is not known yet. But some of the causes that are observed are:
1) Falling of estrogen is the primary cause of the disease.
2) If Androgenic alopecia starts in the forties or later, the main cause of its occurrence is lower estrogen levels.
3) Androgenic alopecia may also occur in young people but generally the prevalence increases with advancing age.
4) Hormone or genetic predisposition: Androgenic alopecia is usually passed down through family genetics.
5) Not contagious that is the disease is not caused by foods and any kind of nervousness
Women with poly cystic ovary syndrome may have signs of some degree of androgenic alopecia.
Alopecia can be treated with drugs such as steroid creams, (minoxidil
), which may trigger hair growth.
Ultraviolet light therapy
may also be useful.
Hair transplantation: This is another option followed by the doctors for treating androgenic alopecia. In which Plugs of hair are removed surgically from areas with plenty of hair and implanted with little hair in the affected areas.
Natural alternatives and other hair loss treatments are also useful for some people.
Scalp reduction: This is a surgical procedure in which the bald area is cut out.
Flapping: Hair-bearing skin can also be folded over an area of bald skin with a technique called a flap.
Natural skin care
products are healthier and are becoming more and more popular today.
is a pill that slows hair loss in men.