What is Androgel and does it help HIV infections ?

My Dr put me on the med AndroGel could you please explain this med? Could it help a little on my hiv?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Jul 2011
Radiologist 's  Response
Hi Don!

Thanks for choosing uses of Androfil Gel (Androgel, Generic Testosterone) include: This medication is used in men who do not make enough of a natural substance called testosterone. In males, testosterone is responsible for many normal functions, including growth and development of the genitals, muscles, and bones. It also helps cause normal sexual development (puberty) in boys. testosterone is similar to the natural testosterone produced by your body. It belongs to a class of drugs known as androgens. It works by affecting many body systems so that the body can develop and function normally. Testosterone may also be used in certain adolescent boys to cause puberty in those with delayed puberty.In HIv due to HIV itself or due to other infections there is hypogonadism(dysfunction of sex organs) hence the use of androfil.
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
Androgel is Testosterone .It is used in treatment of testosterone deficiency in males.You can go ahead and use it.It is efficient in maintaining Testosterone levels in Testosterone deficiency in HIV males.
If you need more information feel free to mail me.
thank you for being so helpful.