What is ADHD ?

I want to know about ADHD?
Asked On : Thu, 13 Jan 2011
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
Hi Kaleb,
The ADHD is attention deficit hyperactive disorder in which attention span of person is very less due to this learning ability will be decreased, this is commonly due consumption of drugs like phenobarbitone during pregnancy. this can be treated by drugs like methyl phenidate. for further details consult paediatrician or psychiatrist
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
ADHD is a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination. For these problems to be diagnosed as ADHD, they must be out of the normal range for a child's age and development.
I am not a doctor but I am a 30 year old male who has been living with ADHD for many years now. I always thought having the disorder was more like having a trait but in reality it was just too much for others to comprehend. Anyway, your brain has what doctors call dopamine receptors. Most human beings have a balance of dopamine that enters there brain when they think, see or smell. Say your brain released some dopamine when you ate an orange? Well it would be different, probably higher, if for instant you had an orgasm. In someone with ADHD (its a myth that only kids get it btw and its not caused my too much sugar) that dopamine in your brain is too low and sensations, emotions are harder to get. (hence why people take adderall or do meditation and calming techniques) Anyway Ill start with that... If you for some reason don't get this please email me back and i will help the best i can to explain.

I did not ask this question, however, am very interested in this topic because i think i might have this disorder. A friend was recently diagnosed and her symptoms are close to mine.

I am 24 and have never read a book. i can't commit to anything and completing tasks are very difficult. I got through college by spark notes and friends. I can't sit still. I also have no interest in relationships...could this be a reason?

A friend gave me Adderall and it made so much difference. I have never thought so clear. I was able to think and complete tasks. My mind was a peace for the first time in a long time. I want to see my doctor about this but i dont know what to tell him.

Any advice for me?
  Anonymous's Response
ADHD refers to a chronic biobehavioral disorder that initially manifests in childhood and is characterized by hyperactivity, impulsivity, and/or inattention. Not all of those affected by ADHD manifest all three behavioral categories. These symptoms can lead to difficulty in academic, emotional, and social functioning. The diagnosis is established by satisfying specific criteria and may be associated with other neurological, significant behavioral, and/or developmental/learning disabilities. Therapy may consider the use of medication, behavioral therapy, and adjustments in day-to-day lifestyle activities.