What happened after you were shocked and were you asked to go into hospital for a check ?

I just wanted to know about ICD wearers experiences. My dad (43yrs old) recently had one implanted because he had an unexplained cardiac arrest at work. However they can t find anything wrong with his heart. He is really fit, doesn t smoke, has a healthy diet , does tonnes of exercise and there is no family history whatsoever. They think it must be some sort of electrical fault but can t explain it. He was really lucky to have survived and caused a lot of interest in the medical profession because there was only a 1% chance he would live (because he was out of hospital in the company of a complete non first-aider). He went for a check a month after where they found it had become dislodged after being in place for just a week, so they had to open him up again an refit it. Yesterday he was cycling at a fast pace and felt a bit dizzy. He looked down at his heart rate wrist monitor and it was reading 230bpm (the max it can actually read) next thing he felt was a massive electric shock in his chest which maded him fly over the handle bars of his bike. He felt fine after but was just a bit shocked because he has been cycling lots since the op and has been fine. He can t get hold of his arrythmia nurse until tomo because of the bank hol and while he seems fine I am worried because no one can get to the bottom of this problem and it could happen again at any time. I just wondered what peoples experiences are living with an ICD. Why was it fitted and has it ever shocked you ? What happened after you were shocked and were you asked to go into hospital for a check? I am interested in this not only because of my dad but also because I am a 3rd year Junior Doctor about to start my Heart, Lungs and Blood module. Any personal experience about this would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009