What does mpgn type ll mean and what causes it ?

my 14yr old daughter has had mpgn type ll for 5 years now what is it? & what causes it?
Asked On : Sat, 21 May 2011
Dear Karen, Welcome to HealthcareMagic!

MPGN type II is 'membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis' [also known as 'mesangiocapillary glomerulonephritis']. It is a type of glomerulonephritis [ie., inflammation of glomeruli of kidney] caused by deposits in the kidney glomerular mesangium and basement membrane (GBM) thickening, which activate complement and damage the glomeruli [glomeruli are functional unit of kidneys]. It is a common cause cause of nephrotic syndrome in children [Nephrotic syndrome is a disorder in which the kidneys are damaged, causing them to leak large amounts of proteins from the blood into the urine]. Spontaneous remissions of MPGN type II are not common & approximately half of those affected with MPGN II will progress to end stage renal disease within 10 years. Therefore prognosis of this condition is not very good. I advice you to consult a good pediatric nephrologist for your daughter.
Good luck.

Skin Clinic, SCO 298, Sect. 20, Panchkula.