What does it mean if blood is in my urine ?

Asked On : Mon, 5 Apr 2010
Welcome to HCM,
Blood in the urine means
a) Infection
b) Calculus/Stones
c) May be present during Menstruation
Still if it persists without above criteria then it is better to see a Doctor for further evaluation.
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. Bleeding spots can occur as normal condition in early weeks of pregnancy.. This blood can occasionally be seen while you urinate.. Blood in the urine can also be seen in conditions such as infection, urine stones and few other factors.. If your symptoms persist, then consult your doctor for evaluation of this condition.....

General & Family Physician Dr. Anirban Chatterjee's  Response
Hi welcome to HCM. You have not mentioned your age and gender. These are important to factor the relevant causes for blood i urine. The timing of the blood appearing with urine is important. If the blood appears at the beginning of the urination process it is likely to be a lower urinary tract infection, whereas blood mixed urine or blood towards the end of urination maybe due to upper urinary tract infection. These conditions are usually associated with burning sensation during urination and/or lower abdominal discomfort. In females, blood maybe present in urine during menstruation, early pregnancy. Kidney stones may also result in blood in urine. The exact cause needs clinical evaluation with necessary investigations. Please consult your doctor.
If there is blood in your urine,it means there is a pathology.There might be a calculus or stone.There might be a cyst in the bladder.Or even it might be a symptom of carcinoma.So consult a doctor soon.
General & Family Physician Dr. K. P. V. Rao's  Response
Only blood in urine indicates there is a ureteric stone which is coming down.If there are pus cells along with blood in urine,it indicate there is infection either in the kidney/ureter/bladder.