What does high fever with rashes, sore throat, swelling, joint soreness and fatigue indicate ?

Hi. I am a RN and have a friend with issues and I am baffled by it. He has seen a PA at his regular doctor s office and he went to the ER on Saturday and they keep telling him it is virus . He has a fever, 103.0 at times, a rash all over, a bad sore throat , he is extremely fatigued (has to rest after he showers) and has a lot of swelling (mostly on the right side of his body. They tested him for Parvo and it came back negative. He has extreme joint soreness. The fatigue started first on 3/24/12, the rash, fever and swelling started 3/30/12. The sore thoart started over the weekend. He is 46 yo, white male. He has a history of heart disease and he is obese . He does not smoke or chew . He has been in the hospital since Monday and they have no idea what he has. He is getting worse instead of better. He is seeing an infectious disease doctor and they are running every test imaginable.
Asked On : Thu, 5 Apr 2012