What does haziness in X-ray mean?

hello... My sister in law in philippines went got medical and showed haziness in xray ...Whats that mean is that what we really need to worry about
Asked On : Sun, 25 Mar 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

Haziness on X-ray is a non-specific finding.
It does not suggest any disease process.
Haziness can be due to one of the following causes:
1. Pneumonia
2. Fibrosis
3. Prominent broncho-vascular markings
These are the common causes of haziness on X-ray however, these findings are to be correlated clinically.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Radiologist Dr. Vamshi Kotha's  Response

The most common reason haziness is reported on an Xray is when the exact pathology cannot be definitely diagnosed. In common parlance, haziness is a word usually used to denote pneumonia (consolidation) in the lung. This refers to infection in the lung and needs to be correlated with your symptoms (usually cough, fever, etc). Usually, antibiotics are given for the same and you may need to meet a chest physician.