What does copd means ?

does copd mean you have congestive heart failurer someone says yes some say no and others say its 2 different things whats the real answer
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi nima

COPD means chronic obstructive lung diseases...basically the disease starts in the lung, almost 80% is smoking related. pathologically the lesions are in airways and lung parenchyma.

COPD may lead to right heart failure manifested by leg edema, raised jugular veinous pressure, liver enlargement etc.

the two terms are not synonymous.

best wishes
COPD and CHF are separate disorders. Drs. have a hard time sorting them both out and sometimes its next to impossible. It requires a thorough physical assessment and sometimes there still is no answer. I brought my father into emerge so many times with an exacerbation of his COPD with pneumonia complicated by CHF. There sometimes is no right or wrong answers, it whatever works at the time. You just do the best you can at assessing the problem. Does your Dad have home oxygen and a monitor that records his oxygen saturation. That can help with an assessment, email me if I can be of help, Donna