What does a mucocele on the inner lip indicate?

Hi, I had a small mucocele on the inner right side of lower lip. It was excised by an oral surgeon last week. Everything's fine except i had numbness at vermilion border of lip in relation to the incision side. I think its a nerve injury during operation. Im afraid it would last forever. Will it be back to normal? Pls answer Dr. !
Asked On : Thu, 5 Oct 2017
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Numbness of the vermilion border of the lip after removal of mucocele is most probably due to injury to the terminal nerve fibres..
The incision for the removal of mucocele is not that deep to damage the main nerve so do not worry..
You should wait and watch as the nerve fibres will gradually recover..
Wait for a month and watch if the numbness subsides..
If there is no improvement, you can get checked by an Oral Surgeon or a Neurophysician..
For now take Vitamin B complex supplements as it help in nerve repair and regeneration..

Hope this helps..

Regards.