What does a high SGPT level mean and will it affect my health negatively ?

high sgpt do i worry for my medical?
Asked On : Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Causes of increased liver enzyme levels include certain medications, alcohol, obesity, cirrhosis, Gall stone, pancreatitis, etc.

Best wishes
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Mikki, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
You haven't mentioned what is the exact result value of your SGPT. The normal range of values for SGPT is 7 to 56 units per liter of serum. It can be found to be elevated mildly and temporarily and it doesn't signal a chronic or serious liver disease. It can also happen if there is a serious muscle damage. Not to worry. If you are concerned you can discuss it with your Hepatologist.
Wish you Good Health.