What do the symptoms of prolonged high fever with all tests negative in a leg cancer patient indicate ?

my father in law who had cancer in the leg 15 years ago who is in excellent health has had a fever of 101 or a little higher for over 5 weeks he has had a cat scan negative, MRI negative, blood work came back fine white count little elevated, and also had his heart thoroughly checked but no one can find anything has not had a pet scan yet any suggestions on what it could be? Anyone have these systoms or no someone who has had this and what the outcome was any information would be helpful to me very much. Thank you in advance
Asked On : Mon, 6 Jun 2011