What diet should one on a weight loss program take ?

I am 32yrs and wanting to loose 10kgs .my younger son is year old now.i m exercising n have started taking phytolacca berry tablets .will I be able to loose1 0 kg in 3 months.also let me know the food to be avoided.
Asked On : Mon, 19 Mar 2012
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
You can keep a target of 2- 3 kg of weight loss every month which is possible with a strict diet plan and exercise . I hope you have stopped breastfeeding by now and consult your doctor before taking any weight loss medication which is generally prescribed for obese patients.

Foods to be avoided in a weight loss diet plan are:
•     Prefer whole grains to refined products, so avoid maida and its products like noodles, pasta, white bread, bun, naan etc. and rice should be restricted to only once in a day preferably at noon time.
•     Avoid sugar, jaggery, Horlicks or Bournvita and honey wherever possible.
•     Foods to be taken in moderation such as roots and tubers like potato , yam , tapioca, sweet potato and high calorie fruits like avocado, jack fruit, mango, Custard apple, banana and chickoo.
•      Increase fiber intake in your diet such as salads, sprouts and prefer whole fruits to fruit juices.
•     Prefer skimmed milk(curd , buttermilk) to full cream milk
•     Use minimum amount of oil for cooking, about 3 tsp in a day. This eventually means no deep fried foods and use combination of oils in your cooking .
•     Avoid frequent consumption of cream, cheese, butter, ghee, margarine, mayonnaise, coconut , nuts and dry fruits in your diet.
•     Avoid all bakery products, aerated beverages, desserts and fast foods.

Dietitian & Nutritionist Neha Chandna's  Response
hi pooja... you have kept a very realistic goal of losing 10kgs in 3 months.. you can easily lose 1 kg/week..all you need to do is continue with your exercise like brisk walk/ jog for 45 mins.. eat small meals every 2-3 hours.. start your day with green tea and 2 dates..have oats/ ragiporridge/ idli/ poha for breakfast..fruits and nuts for mid morning..salad + 1 jowar roti + veggie+ dal for lunch, sprouts/ egg whites as evening snacks, dinner keep it light like soups, salads, veggies/ grilled non veg.. avoid fried, junk and sweets completely.. drink plenty of water.. rest well..