What diet should I take for high cholesterol?

my daughters husband has just been told that he has got high colestrial .what type of diet should he be doing eg foods to eat /not eat ... thankyou
Asked On : Sat, 24 Mar 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello. Thanks for writing to HCM.
The type of foods to be avoided are fat rich foods or foods with high content of unsaturated fatty acids. he should avoid fried junk foods and prefer home cooked food with minimal oil. Diet should be such that 30% of intake is composed of carbohydrates, 30-40% of protein, 20 % fats and rest by bulk forming foods like salads, fruits and yoghurt. Egg yolks are to be avoided as is red meat.
Dietitian & Nutritionist Neha Chandna's  Response reduce cholesterol he need to get active and do some sort of exercise for 1 hour daily like brisk walks/ jog/ dance etc.. eat high fiber foods like fruits,nuts, salads, oats, jowar, brown rice etc..avoid butter, refined foods, bakery products, egg yolks, red meat and fried foods.. include olive oil as a part of the diet and take fish oil capsules daily as omega 3 in it helps to reduce cholesterol.. drink lot of water.. rest well..