What diet should I maintain to gain weight ?

hi...iam 24 yrs old height is 165 cm but my weight is below average...its only 43 kgs...could you please suggest a diet that will increase my weight?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Aug 2011
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic

According to your height and weight, your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 15.8 which is considered as underweight. In order to increase your weight, your diet should be high in protein which helps to increase the muscle mass and stamina in the body.
Eating foods rich in protein includes whole pulses, legumes, milk products, soya products, peanut butter, nuts and dry fruits.Take foods like fruit milkshakes,dry fruit milkshakes, lassi, buttermilk, whole milk , Flavoured milk, paneer, groundnut burfi, green banana and you can try using protein supplements like ENSURE or RESOURCE HIGH PROTEIN which can be taken along with milk twice daily. Try avoid taking junk foods like oily fried foods,highly saturated sweets and carbonated drinks which will eventually suppress your hunger.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
•Have an extra slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter at breakfast.
•Add extra cheese to an omelet.
•Slice an apple and serve with almond butter.
•Stir chopped nuts into plain yogurt and top with honey.
•Serve yourself larger portions of starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet corn.
•Add calories with a nutritious beverage such as milk, 100% fruit juices, or vegetable juice.
Hope this helps.
General & Family Physician Dr. Mukesh Kumar's  Response
i will give you general guide lines for putting on weight , also you should de worm yourself and get your hemoglobin tested for any anemia.
your daily calorie intake should be (your height in cms) - 100 x40 equals your caloric intake daily.
now 40 percent of the total kcal you should consume for breakfast, then 30 percent for lunch and 30 percent for dinner.
now if you check the internet and search for calorie chart you will find a table by using which you yourself can calculate your diet chart.
and while making your diet chart make sure you add some fatty food also but not too much,that will help you gain weight very easily, eat banana more often,
avoid drinking water during and before meals,drink half an hr later,
also deworm your self and get your hemoglobin count done,
if you are still unable to gain weight i suggest you go to dietitian. he will discuss with you your like and dislike and make a diet chart for you
i think this should help,
thank you
  Anonymous's Response
You need to check your hemoglobin levels as girls of your age can suffer from anemia,
I would advice you to take iron and folic acid supplements and eat healthily. Like 2eggs/4glasses of milk/3-4 servings of food with ghee per day. Take lot of vegetables and fruits and drink atleast 3 liters of water per day
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
Take high nourishing diet, like milk with fat,pulses,eggs,butter,puddings.
Take enough fat and carbohydrate,
Take green vegetables and fresh fruits.
Take protinules powder.
Take multivitamin supplements,Iron.
Ok and bye.
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response

welcome to hcm

thanks for the query

take more amount of protein in diet with regular exercise

add first class proteins like egg in diet. if you are vegeterian then milk ,soya,pulses(dal) are very much helpful.

add little bit ghee or butter in diet

take good amount of water

take good sleep everyday

avoid stress

add nuts in your diet

take care. wish you a good health

Hello tho reasons viz intake of un-nourished food, mental health,problems with reproductive system, history of any strong infection, beej dosha according to ayurveda,medo-skhya etc are the various causes.
Diet= according to ayurvedic point of view I am explaining this ====
1) Take maximum sleep is the best remedy.You can take it after your meals immediately.
2)take maximum sweet i.e. milk,ghee,curd,shrikhand, any milk product etc
3)mental rest is also very important. Don't think about any thing.
4)various medicines like tapyadi loha,shatawari ghritam,vange bhasma +ghee, non-veg diet/soup,bala rasayana,narayantailam, ragashadav, madriapanam, aplication of bala tailam, shkirbala tailam, mahanarayantaillam, intake of amrutprasha ghritam etc are the treatment + diet suggested in ayurvedic granthas.
For this you should consult to ayurvedic expert / feel free to write me