What could cause sore nipple in a male?

My husband is having a painful nipple, its very sore to the touch and aches all the time, he is 36 years old, what could cause this in a male?
Asked On : Mon, 11 Jul 2011
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
This could be due to allergy to minor trauma. You can apply antibiotic cream on the area for relief. Let him wear cool cotton clothes and also bathe regularly.
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
Hi,thanks for query.The routine causes are hair root infection due to pulled hair and due to friction or pressure on it.Take him to a doctor for examination and get treated.With analgesic and antibiotic he will be fine.Do not worry.
Wishing him good health.
Dermatologist Dr. Gaurav Patel's  Response
hi
he might has gynecomastia
it may be due to hormonal changes or some medicine
he need to consult surgeon doctor.
in this condition in initial day it is very painful but as days pass ,pain will reduce
he can take analgesic tab for the pain .
General & Family Physician Dr. Sumanth.P's  Response

painful nipple suggests Infection.

He needs a course of antibiotic.

Before that kindly visit a general surgeon, since It needs to be examined by him Initially.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries If any.