What could be the reason for swelling, pain in ring finger after having a manicure ?

My daughter just went to the emergency room because her ring finger on the right hand was swollen. After seeing a doctor today she was told to elevate hand above her heart and take benadryl . After doing so she took a nap and upon waking she said that her ring finger was in pain and the vain on the back of her hand had swollen up to the size of her pinky finger. She did get a fresh manicure yesterday and last week she got so sort of bug bite on the same arm about 4 inches from the wrist . The bite seems to be healed. What caused the swelling?
Asked On : Mon, 9 Jul 2012
this could be a skin infection called a cellulitis. you should seek a further medical assessment as you daughter may require antibiotics