What could be the reason for no heart development in fetus and what are the test to find out the cause for abortion ?

Hello Doctor , I would like to share one concern as my sister was pregnant and it was 12 weeks when she has her lower abdomen pain for 2 days followed by minor blood stains then she visited doctor and doctor did the scanning and found no heart development in the baby and suggested an abortion . My sister had an abortion and after a weeks rest she visited doctor for proper check-up in order to find out the actual cause then doctor said she might have thyroid but after the test it wasnt found and in order to confirm ones again she again visited another doctor and in the test she found no thyroid problem again. Her blood reports are normal and everything else too. Although, she is fine now but we are still not clear that why it has happened that her baby heart didnt develop when it should be ideally within 12 weeks of pregnancy time. the baby heart beat was there initially and it suddenly dis-appeared. She is slim and have no health problem also she had her regular periods too but still it happened to her. She did travel too during her first 1-2 months but in a car and safe drive also she did slept on her stomach weight only ones and that too in her first week. I would highly appreciate if anyone can suggest us what to do and what would be the actual cause. Also, how much time gap she should have in order to start the conceiving process again. What are the other tests which she can go for in order to find out the cause? Is it certain that this problem may occur again when she got pregnant or was it by chance?
Asked On : Wed, 15 Jun 2011