What could be the reason for lump in upper calf ?

I recently found a 4 inch long lump on my upper calf. it goes from the inside around towrd the shin kinda up diagonally (if that makes sense) Not red or sensitive and doesnt really protrude but I can cedrtainly feel it when probed. Early 40 s, male, no health problems, walk everyday. any Ideas? Thanks
Asked On : Fri, 28 Jan 2011
4 inch is pretty long for a 'lump'.You should really be examined by a doctor for a better diagnosis.Its possible that you have a distended vein.You should be tested for varicosity.There are some simple tests that the doctor will do during examination.A doppler of the calf might be advised.