What could be the effect of tinnitus in otosclerosis ?

tinnitus in otosclerosis if happens in two ears does it affect hearing ability 27 yrs woman have otosclerosis in one ear with tinnitus
Asked On : Mon, 7 Mar 2011
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Yes it will affect the hearing. in this disease the ear bone ( stapes head ) get fixed with the oval window.

The treatment is surgical, Stapedotomy. It is a very simple procedure, we just remove the stapes n in turn we place the shea( mostly) type of piston.

General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
yes the condition may affect hearing
e n t surgeon will guide you best and treat you
hope you recover soon
ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response

Otosclerosis (fixation of stapes) is seen in females during their 2nd and 3rd decade. There can be bilateral hearing loss because of this fixation of the stapes and the ear ossicles will not move and hence sound waves cannot be transferred. During the process of re-modelling of the bone the toxins produced by the process can escape into the inner ear causing tinnitus and later hearing loss. Please refer to the article below.

Dr. Naveen Kumar