What could be the cause of swelling on the knee post a fall that is increasing with time ?

My Daughter fell in gym class 3 weeks ago on her left knee , it bruised and swelled alittle after a couple days it went down , about a week ago she was fit in the same knee with a feild hockey stick at practice her knee has swelled back up, she was seen in the ER , Xray taken , they said it was not broken and they splinted it and put her on crutches said it would start to go down with rest. it is now 3 days later it is getting bigger and now when you touch her knee it is not mushy it is hard and big , it does not fel like water anymore , shhe is going back to the doctors today just wanted to see if i could get any info on what i might be looking at
Asked On : Thu, 12 Apr 2012