What could be the cause of swelling and warmness over helix and double lobule of the ear on exposure to heat ?

my husband helix and lobule part of his ear get hot and swell up and appear to be filled with blood and turn dark red and purple. this happens especially when in the outside heat . He has to stay in airconditioning . Exposure to heat of any source causes his condition to become extreme and unbearable and even whenin 60 degrees a/c room his ears will still sometimes get extremely hot and swollen. Also this condition alternates with out explanation from one ear to the other , or both . is there anybody that knows what this is? His doctors have not be able to figure it out. even after many many tests of blood urine scans . please help me
Asked On : Sun, 18 Mar 2012