What could be the cause of severe cough with chest pain and shortness of breath in a chain smoker ?

HI name is Antonis! I am a 27 year old male, and a 6-7 year smoker (trying to stop). Although i am proficient in english im not sure about some medical definitions so bear with me. The last 3 days i ve been experiencing a really nasty cough that starts when i inhale (obviously). The aggravation that starts the cough originates at the base of the larynx (where it connects with the sternum). When coughing I experience strain in that area and also the chest (kind of a burning sensation) and a mild shortness of breath . Also I think my tonsils are swollen and my ears feel clogged (is that a correct description?). Now some more history first of all due to the structure of my skull i ve been talled i am prone to sinusitis . Moreover when i get a running nose some times the mucus doesnt come down my nose but directly in my pharynx so i suppose there is a good chance i have mucus in my lungs... Also about 2-3 weeks i had a pretty nasty sore throat and cough, the area being that of the pharynx, to a point where one morning i spat mucus with blood. My tonsils were swollen then too, and i think my uvula (the grape thingy in the pharynx) looked like it was bleeding. The blood in my spit never happened again. So what do you think???
Asked On : Wed, 4 Apr 2012