What could be the cause of phlegm causing choking and breathing difficulty in one having sleep apnea and using CPAP machine ?

I have tiny phlegm in my throat each morning and continous through the day. It causes me to feel like im choking on nothing and I start to tear and gag (more frequently recently, especially in the morning). I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine for the past 7 years. I am a 51 year old women. What type of Doctor do I need to go see or what can i do to improve the situation. Sometimes it impacts my breathing
Asked On : Sun, 15 Apr 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Dear Sir
Hello I am Dr Sharma ENT surgeon On the basis of info provided it appears you have chronic pharyngitis with sleep apnoea syndrome and you are using CPAP for last 7 years
Your qury 1 -- What type of doctor you need to go to --- Before discussing that you should know that sleep apnoea syndrome can be peripheral ot central. Peripheral sleep apnoea syndroma is also called as obstructive aleep apnoea. So you need to see a
ENT surgeon to evaluate for a onstructive cause of sleep apnoea--- large tonsils, nasal polyp can cause slep apnoea syndrome
Chest physician -- to evaluate the cause of obstruction disease in chest
Neurologist -- To evaluate central cause of sleep apnoea
Sleep medicine consultant -- usually co ordinates the role of all the specialists involved
Medicine consultant -- To evaluate for obesity, hypertension, diabetes ,hypothyroidism and CHF
Dietecian-- To help you in maintianing a appropriate body mass index as obesity may be one of the contibuting factor in sleep apnoea

At your level I can just say if u have excessive weight you can think of a diet plan to reduce weight at least by 10% and consult sleep medcine consultnat to plan your treatment. A antiallergic, decongestant and mucolyic combination will take care of allergic pharyngitis

I hope this answers your concerns. Do let me know if u need anything else in this regard

Ravinder Sharma
ENT Specialist Dr. S K Pratinidhi's  Response
Hi welcome to Health care magic forum,

Phlegm in throat and sensation of choking and throat clearing sensation in throat is symptoms of extra esophageal reflux disease . Sleep apnea and snoring cause reflux pharyngitis.

In my opinion you can go for a throat swab culture and thyroid function test to exclude any infection or thyroid disease.

I would advise you to reduce your weight and take plenty of sips of water to make your throat wet and can take Antireflux drugs.

You can go for a sleep study or polysomnography , functional MRI and a flexible nasopahryngolaryngoscopy to know the site of obstruction.

There are many surgical intervention available to cope with this type problem.

I would suggest to see an ENT surgeon and a pulmologist
May this will help you.