What could be the cause and remedy for pain in the arms post an IV insertion ?

In October of last year a nurse botched an IV insertion pretty bad before my c-section. When it didn t flash right away she tried digging around in my arm to find the vein . There was tenderness and bad bruising right away. Five months later I am still experiencing pain, but it has travelled up my arm as far as my bicep muscle above my elbow . When stretching my arm to reach I feel pain as well as weakness in that arm that makes me feel as if my arm is going to collapse and cause me to drop things. What could this be and what can be done to stop it? I had no previous arm pain or injuries. I was 37 years old, 5 1 and about 180 lbs. at full term in my pregnancy.
Asked On : Tue, 3 Apr 2012

I doubt if your present problems are related to the nurse trying to establish a patent I.V line 5 months ago.You could be erroneously linking the two.

But do get your arm examined by your G.P for any signs of Thrombophlebitis and also for any objective weakness as you describe. I believe you should do well after a visit to your doctor rather than let the doubts fester.Take care.
General & Family Physician Dr. Kamal Kishore Bandil's  Response
Get yourself investigated for any infection if you have.