What causes tonsillitis?

Hi folks, any idea what`s tonsillitis? What causes it?
Asked On : Fri, 2 May 2008
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hello Kunal I am Dr Sharma ENT surgeon Tonsillitis refers to the inflammation of the tonsils. It can be because of a bacterial or a viral infection. Tonsild are lymphoid tissue which helps us against infections espacially in childhood. In response to infections, its size increase. I hope this answers your concern with regards ravinder Sharma
tonsil is first line of our body defence mechanism.the infection getting into our body through mouth is first stop by it. and in the process it get enlarge and become pain ful. then it needs aid from the medicine . that the process
wish you good health.
ENT Specialist Dr. Jyothi Kumari's  Response
T and then the pus is seen.onsillitis is inflammation of the tonsil tissue at the junction between your tongue and may see it reddened and generally enlarged or with whitish specks of pus all over them or a membrane,but alwaays painful.With this one wil have fever,bodyaches,difficulty to swallow tender neck lymph nodes.caused by virus initially but may become secondarily infected by bacteria and then the pus is seen.

Hi, Raghu here, tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils. It is caused by either a virus or a bacterium. Tonsillitis mostly occurs in young children.
Tonsillitis is when the tonsils fleshy pads on each side of the back of the throat become infected with a virus or bacteria