What causes tastelessness and burning sensation after a surgery?

Ten days ago I traveled out of state to have microvascular decompression surgery for hemi-facial spasms. Since then, nothing tastes right. Things I.loved before I.no.longer like.. Certain food and drink burns the inside of my.mouth. Is this due to anesthesia? Will everything return to normal, eventually??? Thank.you
Asked On : Wed, 5 Jul 2017
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

It looks like inflammation inside mouth that can be due to side effect of anaesthesia or the medication that you are taking post surgery..
Many medications can cause inflammation inside mouth as a side effect and it can eventually lead to inflammation and burning that is Stomatitis and Glossitis..
So once you need to consult your Surgeon and get evaluated and if it is due to any medications then reducing the dose or changing the medication can help in improving the symptoms..
As the soreness will reduce the taste will also gradually improve..
As of now you can gargle with specialised mouthwash like Magic mouthwash and do cold water rinses or suck ice pops..
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
Avoid stress and take sufficient rest..

Hope this helps..

Regards.